Saturday, October 1, 2011

Fall Housewarming Gift

Hi there, I'm so glad you stopped by.

My husband and I are going to a housewarming party tonight. With it being Fall, I decided to create something with a fall theme, just for them.

This past summer when we were up at our cabin with our best friends, the ladies and I decided to check out a little antique shop a "few miles" down the road.  I know, women wanting to shop on a weekend away, unheard of, right?  Not.  My best girlfriends and I could find a place to shop anywhere. Case in point...Lake of the Woods with no shops for miles.  But we found one! Actually, we found 2!

I found this cute little wooden carrier and knew I could find something to use it for.



So I pulled out some mason jars and set out to create something just for it.



I am so in love with burlap this year.  To me, burlap just screams Fall. 

I laid the the jar on the table and wrapped the burlap around it, leaving about a 2" overhang.

I folded over the 2" and ironed a crease in it. 




Then I trimmed the rough edge of the burlap to make it straight.  Even though this was going to be under the overlap, I wanted it to be straight, since you can see through burlap.




I put a line of hot glue on the side of the mason jar and attached one edge of the burlap.

Have I told you lately how  much I love my glue gun?  Well, I love my glue gun! You can use that thing for everything. I'm pretty sure I could even mend clothes with that thing.....but that's a subject for another day.

After I attached it to the one side, I rolled the jar over, folded the creased end and attached it with hot glue.


Because I didn't like the way the top looked, I decided to make a top for the jar. 

I had some fabric from a project a few years ago that I thought would be the right look. I pulled out a Tupperware bowl, traced a circle on the fabric and cut it out with a pinking shear.

I put a line of glue around the top of the jar, set the jar upside down on the fabric and tied a piece of twine around it.



Next, I wanted to add a few buttons.  I put the twine through the button holes so it would look like I sewed it to the burlap.



Waa laa!  Jar number one is complete!




For the next jar, I simply added a piece of ribbon by gluing it to the jar, just like I did with the first one.  You could also overlap this one and add buttons, but I wanted this one to be different.




Then I added burlap ribbon that I bought from House by JSD Design. 

If you want some great fall inspiration, check out their sight. It is fabulous!  http://www.housebyjsd.com/. They are out of Lexington, Kentucky. If they were in Minnesota, I would be their number one customer.  But I digress....




Finally, I added a felt leaf with some brown ribbon, filled the jar with scented pine cones and jar number two was complete!




For the last jar, I used this great little bamboo that I found at a boutique in Hutchinson, for $2.00, for a roll of 3 feet! I seriously did the happy dance when I found this stuff.




I also put a row of burlap ribbon around this jar, added a felt leaf and dotted it with a little metal heart. In this one I put little pumpkin potpourri. I had put the pumpkins and one cupful of "Harvest" scented oil in a zip loc bag then left them overnight to absorb the oil. Y.u.m.m.y.




I added some moss to the bottom of the cute little wooden carrier, put the jars in and, taa daa, Housewarming Gift is ready to be delivered. 

I don't think I will even wrap this. I think it looks good to bring up to the door just like this!




Thank you so much for stopping by.  It means the world to me.

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Turkey and Veggie Egg Bake

Hi!  We're so glad you stopped by!  I apologize for the lack of recipe updates.  To be honest, I didn't think anyone would want ...