Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Little Valentine's Day Decorating and a Tutorial

Hi there.  I'm so glad you stopped by.

I did a little decorating for Valentine's Day tonight and I want to share it with you.




I don't want to go completely crazy, I just want a little touch of it.  I decided the buffet in our dining room would be the perfect place.
Here is a picture of our buffet table, that now sits in our dining room.  We just brought it upstairs so I hadn't decorated it yet.

For years it was in our garage, then it spent about a year in our basement. I am going to be refinishing it, but for now, here it is in its "old beat up glory". Isn't it just charming!


 


I started by putting a simple white table runner on the top.  I got this at Target after Christmas for 50% off. I also draped this gorgeous scarf, my friend Sandra gave me, over the ladder and around the lamp. Then I added some pearls I got at Michael's.



I took 2 candle holders and put these rose balls (I'm sure that isn't what they are called, but it sounds good in my world) on top.  I also got these for 50% off at the after Christmas sale at Target. I was going to make these, but when I saw how cheap they were, I knew I couldn't make them for less.



The 2 candle holders with the red votives on top, are actually champagne glasses.  I simply turned them upside down, put a little double sided tape on the bottom and waa laa, candle holders. 

I got the sweet little body form at Home Goods.  L.O.V.E. that store!  I love that they always have different items and at very reasonable prices.  If you haven't checked them out, you need to. I picked up the heart wreath at Walgreen's, of all places.  See the picture in the back, I made that tonight.  I will show you how at the end.




To finish it off, I added rose petals and some white votives. 





Here is how I made the picture on the wall.  Actually after I made it and hung it on the wall I didn't like it.  Too red!  So, I took it down and tweaked it.

Here is what I used.

A picture frame from Walmart, Sticky appliques from Home Goods and a piece of tissue paper I had in my wrapping paper supply.




I had to iron the tissue paper. It had pretty serious creases in it.  I just put the iron on low heat, laid it on the cardboard from the picture frame and ironed it.  It worked really well.

I cut the tissue paper to size, put it on the glass and put the back, back on.  I took the sticky words and added them right to the glass. Easy! 

As you can see from the first pictures I did not have the white mat on it or the little butterfly.  I like it so much better this way.  It gives it a little more character. 

One thing I've learned is, it never turns out the way I picture it in my head.  I create as I go.



So, do you decorate for Valentine's Day?  It really doesn't take much.  Just decorate a little space in a high traffic area and it will have a big impact.




I hope you have enjoyed this and it inspires you to add a little Valentine's Day to your world.

Thanks so much for stopping by.  It means the world to me!

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Turkey and Veggie Egg Bake

Hi!  We're so glad you stopped by!  I apologize for the lack of recipe updates.  To be honest, I didn't think anyone would want ...