Monday, November 14, 2011

The Wooden Box

Hi There. I'm so glad you stopped by!

Today I want to share a little project my amazing husband and I put together this week.

If you saw the post I did a while back, The Fall Housewarming Gift, you might remember I used a box that looked like this one.

I found it at a little shop up by Lake of the Woods, last summer.




I was really torn about giving my newest love away, a simple little wooden box, as part of the gift.  I know you are all thinking, seriously it's just a wooden box.

I decided that I could ask my husband to help me re-create that little treasure.  He was actually really excited (if you know my husband, you know not much excites him), and ready to help me out. He's pretty creative himself.  Noted for future projects!

I made a pattern and gave it to him.  We went shopping for the materials one night and by the time I got home from work the next day, he had one made for me.  Could you hear the excitement all the way from Ham Lake?? I'm pretty sure my neighbors are still wondering about that one.



I wanted it to have a rustic feel.  I had never stained and painted the same project and wasn't sure if it was going to work.  But I thought, what the hay, I will just have that amazing husband of mine, make me another one if I wreck it.

So I nervously stenciled the box first.



My newest love, stenciling. Yep, L.O.V.E. it!


Then I stained it.....holding my breath the whole time.  Not wanting to look, just in case I ruined it.  Have you ever tried to stain and not look at what you're doing?




I was so excited that it worked.  It actually made the paint finish look really good.  Then I took the ole' sander out and roughed it up a bit.

Keep in mind, I am not a photographer.  This picture doesn't really do it justice, so I'm hoping you can get the feel.

I'm pretty excited about all the things I can use these for.  In the bathroom, with jars holding Q-tips, cotton balls, and soap.  On the buffet table, holding knives, forks and spoons.  Just use your imagination.  I know I will.




By the way, I will be putting these in "Finch's Holiday Boutique" the first weekend in December if you want one, wink wink!

Next little wooden project, a recipe box.  Thanks Tiffany, for the idea!


Thank you so much for stopping by.  It means so much to me.

Kelly

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! I love this! That would be awesome to keep the napkins and salt/pepper out on the table in! CUTE CUTE CUTE!

    ReplyDelete

Turkey and Veggie Egg Bake

Hi!  We're so glad you stopped by!  I apologize for the lack of recipe updates.  To be honest, I didn't think anyone would want ...